Hope Dining Room
Are you looking for a volunteer opportunity in Newark that fits into your already busy schedule?
What is Hope Dining Room?
- Provides a noontime meal for all who are hungry in our community – no questions asked.
- Located at Kingswood United Methodist Church Social Hall, at corner of Marrows Road and Brookside Boulevard
- Supported by many churches in our community.
- Learn more at www.hopediningroom.org
- UUFN provides about 40-50 meals on the fourth Thursday of every month except November (Hope is closed on Thanksgiving Day),
- You can help out once, twice, or sign on for life!! The crew is established on a month-to-month basis.
- No experience necessary!
- To volunteer, contact Guat-Lian Kreamer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes made to HDR procedures to ensure everyone’s safety:
- We wear a mask while inside the building.
- We maintain social distance.
- We sanitize used surfaces at the end of service.
- We provide our guests to-go meals instead of serving them inside the social hall of Kingswood United Methodist Church.
Sandwich lunches are prepared off-site (sometimes with soup in colder months) or a sloppy joe lunch is cooked in the Hope kitchen and packed in to-go containers. To get this done, we would like the following:
- 3-4 volunteers to make and deliver sandwiches to Hope before 11:15 a.m.
- 2-3 volunteers to make hot soup at home and deliver to Hope before 11:15 a.m.
- Alternatively, 3-4 volunteers to prepare a sloppy joe lunch in the Hope Kitchen from 9:30 to 11:15 a.m.
- 1-2 volunteers to make bagged cookies/brownies and deliver to Hope before 11:30 a.m.
- 4 volunteers at Hope from 11:15 a.m. until 1:00 p.m. to assemble to-go bags, welcome guests, hand out the bags, and to help with clean-up.
Prior to the pandemic, we benefited from donations from Panera Bread on E Main Street. Since its closure in August 2020, we have relied on volunteers to prepare a baked dessert to go with our to-go lunch offering. We are on the look-out for local establishment(s) willing to donate dessert once a month. Please email Guat-Lian Kreamer at email@example.com if you have any suggestions!.
9:45 a.m. until 11:45 a.m: Four crew members to chop veggies, cook the sloppy joe filling, mix salad, count plates, fill ice buckets, and plate desserts. You will be provided with gloves and a hat (or bring your own!)
11:45 a.m. until 1:00 p.m: Three crew members to dish out food on the Dining Room Serving Line. You will receive a brief (about 60 seconds) training session, after which you will be master of the serving spoon, and know the difference between a “first” and a “second.” You will wear gloves for this task.
11:45 a.m. until 1:00 p.m: One or two crew members to meander through the dining room serving water, iced tea, lemonade, or milk from a cart. Drinks are prepared ahead of time by the Hope Dining Room staff and are ready to go in the fridge. Guests remain at their tables and raise their hands when they need something.
“OUTSIDE” SERVER – FOOD:
11:45 a.m. until 1:00 p.m: Six crew members to deliver lunch plates from the serving window to our guests who remain at their tables. You may also be asked to take around a dessert tray.
11:15 a.m. until 1:15 p.m. One crew member to wash pans, cutting boards, trays, knives, and serving spoons in a not quite state-of-the-art kitchen…but with the best dishwashing liquid money can buy!
If you are not one of the lucky UUFN retirees, and your boss expects you to work on Thursdays, you can still help out by donating to the cause.
Mail a check directly to Hope Dining Room, Inc. at your convenience:
Hope Dining Room, Inc.
PO Box 9733
Newark, DE 19714